Friday 22 April 2011

Being a Physicist

Being a Physicist is a really tough job.

Firstly doing physics is not as easy as people might think. Its a hell difficult a job.

Secondly the main problem is can you keep yourself motivated enough to continue working in the same field. Because Physics is a really boring subject if you are not doing a very fantastic job i.e. a Nobel Quality research. The worst times are when you are a UG or a PG student and you don't know about your Future. Then you keep thinking will I be able to keep myself motivated for atleast next 40 years of my life? Because the job you are doing will hardly get any recognition at all unless you are doing a Noble Stuff which is a pure rarity. The project you'll be working will be known to only a handful of people. You will get a decent Salary, no problem with that, but the name and fame will not be there. Unlike performing artists, who get attention even if they are performing on the smaller stage, hardly anybody notices your work. So the only thing you can do then is love whatever you are doing and enjoy the subject.

I would suggest to all those students who want to pursue a career in physics, just think about it many times and don't take hasty decisions. It will cost you a life. Because when you are deep into it, its really difficult to come out of it.

I have faced the same situation myself many times, wondering whether I would be able to do it, but I have emerged positive on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews